- This position reports to the Director of Health Information.
- The HIM coder analyzes medical record ensuring compliance to rules and regulation of medical staff. Assigns DRG’s and APC’s by using current ICD-9, ICD-10 and CPT codes for inpatient discharges, same day surgeries and outpatient services from the hospital.
- Plays an active role in accurate statistical information of reports that are created monthly, annually and special needs of the medical staff.
- Responds appropriately to telephone and verbal requests.
- Is required to demonstrate quality and effectiveness in work habits.
- Must work well under stress or tight deadlines.
- Must work well with supervisors, co-workers, patients/residents, family members and visitors.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent. Must be CCS or RHIT credentialed.
Experience: At least one year experience of coding in an acute setting
Certifications: Certification of coding certificate. Required to have the AHIMA CCS or RHIT certification, both preferred.
Knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT coding in acute setting. Knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy, and physiology. Accurately type 45 wpm. Exhibits the ability of organize work assignments and follow through with accuracy, exercises good judgment, demonstrates initiative, emotional stability, tact and poise, and interact with physicians for clarification.